FJ Summer ’14: What I’m obsessed with for summer!
Short hair & light tones
– Last year I rocked bold ombré locks (really long locks) and although I enjoyed the black, reddish-brown and blond tones in my hair, I have recently graduated so I thought I needed a change. I decided to opt for a shoulder-length cut and as for the color; I went for a balyage/ombré technique with honey brownish-blonde tones. Now that summer is approaching and the heat is creeping upon us I’m loving the liberty of having short hair!
Color me pink…and purple…and red
– It’s almost summertime so get ready for the vivid hues for your lips. One of my faves and staples is my “Rouge Shine” from Sephora because if you apply a light coat it creates a faint magenta color for day, however; if you’re going for more of a pop of color at night, you can apply a few more layers and your lips will be a gleaming violet. When I want a vibrant hot pink lip I go for my “Rouge Artist Intense” lipstick by Make Up For Ever. I also recently picked up two lipsticks from the “Kate” line of Rimmel London – a classic red and mauve (inspired by Kylie Jenner).
Bralettes are the new push-up
– Totally obsessed with the lightweight, lacey undergarment. Not only are they comfortable, but also they’re so cute slash sexy and may be worn to be seen too – for example, under a loose or sheer top.
Crazy but fun florals
– Be daring and don’t be afraid to wear lots of bright colors in the summer; it’s the time to shine anyways! I recently found a peplum top with a colorful bird-of-paradise floral design and I also have a crop top with a vibrant tropical flower print. I love that both tops have mesh inlays, which could allow the breeze to flow through– awesome for this sizzling season!
Be bold, with colors
– CHARTREUSE. It’s my favorite color for summer. I own an H&M skirt and an Urban Outfitters top (decorated with French lace) both in this color. I love how bold this color is and paired with subtle colors, it just stands out and can pull an outfit together.
Pretty in powder blue
– One of the trendy colors of the season is powder blue! This pastel color, reminiscent of summer skies, is a soft hue that’s looks very crisp paired with white or black. I recently purchased a crop button-down top in powder blue, with white polka dots.
Courtney Liu is a Hawaii native in the journalism program at the University of Washington. She loves clothes and styling herself and her friends. She hopes to pursue a career in public relations or in the fashion industry.