I love bringing out of town guests and recommending others to visit the Starbucks Roastery. Not only is the architecture and aesthetic beautiful, but it's really a chance for Starbucks to try new things that may not be seen at the thousands of stores around the world. With a coffee museum, a Serious Pie and limited edition blends, it's like a coffee lover's dream.
This summer, they're expanding that dream to include ice cream drinks! I spent some time with the Starbucks team at the Roastery this weekend to preview the new Cold Coffee Bar menu. Let's just say it's gonna be a very delicious summer at the Roastery.
The Cold Coffee Bar menu includes affogatos, floats and malt shakes that feature Bainbridge Island-made Mora Ice Cream paired perfectly with Starbucks' Gravitas and Columbia blends, which are two of the micro-lot blends made exclusively at the Roastery.
I had a lot of fun getting to know Lillian, who was on the team that created the Cold Coffee Bar menu. Lillian's passion for coffee (she's a Starbucks Coffee Master) is infectious. It was easy to get excited about the flavors and layers in these ice cream drinks, even for someone like me who's mostly a tea drinker. I felt like Anthony Bourdain or Eddie Huang, sipping and tasting the different textures and complexities of each drink as she explained the making of each. Here's a look at what we tried:
AFFOGATO: A platform of beverages celebrating the classic definition of ice cream ‘drowned’ in espresso.
- Classic (4 fl. oz. / 170 cal / $7.50) - two shots of Paradeisi espresso poured over Mora’s vanilla ice cream.
- House (6 fl. oz. / 190 cal / $8) - The Classic Affogato with a touch of demerera syrup, dusted with cinnamon.
- Shakerato (6 fl. oz / 190 cal / $8 - Paradeisi espresso shots shaken to an icy froth, poured over Mora’s vanilla ice cream, lightly finished with vanilla syrup and a mint sprig.
FLOATS: Barista inspired craft, double fold vanilla meets our single- origin cold brew coffee
- Cold Brew Float (12 fl. oz / 170 cal / $9) - Roastery small-lot cold brew poured over Mora’s locally made vanilla ice cream.
- Nitro Cold Brew Float (12 fl. oz / 170 cal / $10)
- Vesuvius (12 fl. oz / $8) 12 fl. oz - $8 Our small-lot cold brew shaken with orange peel, orange-piloncillo syrup, strained over Mora’s locally made vanilla ice cream and finished off with a dusting of reserve mocha and an orange twist.
SHAKE: A nod to nostalgia, single-origin cold brew concentrate is blended with ice cream, malt & bourbon barrel aged bitters.
- Cold Brew Malt (12 fl. oz / 400 cal / $10) - An ultra-thick spindle-blended malted milkshake with Roastery small-lot cold brew, Mora’s locally made vanilla ice cream and bourbon barrel–aged bitters.
*Ice cream will also be offered ‘a la mode’ for customers that want to add it to another beverage or food order ($5)
Thanks for having me, Starbucks!