If there's anything during 30Fresh I'm most stoked to share with you, it's my Aces series. Each week, I'll introduce you to a couple of incredible people whose soul, energy, humor, talent, intellect and dreams light up my life. I think the world of them and hope you do too!
First up, meet Carrie. This Puerto Rican Brooklyn beauty came into my life during the first workshop I took time out of my busy schedule for - Stratejoy's Lifestyle Design course. We're all busy, right? I'd reached a point where I was busy, yes, but doing things I wasn't sure I wanted to be doing five years from that point. Carrie and I poured our hearts and lives out for Molly and the other women in our workshop. We've been friends ever since!
I have always admired Carrie's tenacity and spirit. She's been through several big life changes since we've met, and she puts it all out there as she evolves. She's created a supportive community through Twitter - if you're there, follow her at @GirlAndCoconut.
What's on your playlist right now?
I have all kinds of stuff, but I tend to put these on repeat:
- Miguel - Adorn: because well, he is le sexy. I just saw him in concert last Friday and yes, yes, yes!! Also I'm girl crushing hard on his girlfriend.
- Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire: Miguel opened for her and she put on an incredible show, the girl has got it better than a lot of em and at the beginning of this year I decided this was my theme song for the year.
- Kev702 - Breakin a Sweat: This is a friend of a friend here in Vegas and the guy has talent, as does the drummer (also a new friend) on the track. This song always makes me take it up a serious notch in the gym.
- Beastie Boys - No Sleep Til Brooklyn: no explanation needed
- Nero/Skrillex - Promises - This track gets me through my early morning cardio sessions
- Irene Cara - What a Feeling (Flashdance): Because, well, I'm old.
- Rihanna - Stay: The song gets me in my emo place and I love it
- Sabi - Wild Heart: This song just feels like me.
- Kaskade - Live at Coachella: I'm just in love with this set, over and over and over again.
Describe your style.
Ummm, what style? Jess, can you like style me? Can you, like, make me have style? Right now I would call my style "I work out a lot and live in workout clothes but I try to dress up yoga capris to not look like I live in workout clothes."
Who inspires you?
Laura Olson, Sara Seumae, Jess Estrada :) I also find inspiration from so many people in little things, anytime someone says something or posts a pic that makes me think, makes me reflect on myself and want to do better..
What are you reading?
My book reading life took a serious downward turn at the onset of my Twitter life. It hasn't recovered. I mostly end up reading nutrition and health articles online. If I want information about something, I will research endlessly until I feel like I have all of the important information.
What are you most excited about in the coming months?
I'm excited about some travel I have planned this year. So far the Bahamas and a big trip to Australia are on the agenda. I'm also SO excited about and looking forward to having my Seattle besties come to Vegas in May!! I'm really excited about just taking advantage of the summer here in Vegas and really get out and enjoy myself. I'm also excited about tackling some seriously huge things that have been holding me back, this is the year I'm going to get them resolved and move onward.
30Fresh. 30 days of posts celebrating 30 years - and 5 of Fresh Jess!