Style vs Fashion
Edited by Retro Chick
With the Fashion Week season in full swing and Fashion Pulse Daily live blogging from the IFB conference it can be easy to forget that there are other things going on in the world, where real women are shopping and dressing for real occasions.
There were actually surprisingly few Fashion Week oriented posts submitted this week. Possibly the Fashion Week attendees are still too busy to partake in Links á la Mode, but what I did find was a lot of posts focused on fashion, style and image in the real world. A Typical Atypical calls for a low fashion revolution and Idiosyncratic Style urges you to bring out your cocktail frocks for every day. Meanwhile, in the body image arena Intrinsically Florrie learns to love her specs, Sugar & Spice discusses tanning and Mariels Castle weighs in (see what I did there?) on the body size debate.
It would be impossible to leave this weeks links without mentioning the untimely and incredibly sad death of Alexander McQueen. There were posts submitted on this issue but I made the decision not to include them, not because they were bad, but because I felt that if I included one persons post I would need to include them all. There has been so much personal reflection on the life and designs of this amazing man in the fashion blogging world that to choose a small selection seemed impossible. If you would like to read these posts then, as ever, the full list of submissions is available in the forums.
Links à la Mode: February 18th
- A Typical Atypical – What girls really want to read about, and why fashion bloggers are changing the face of fashion
- Bonne Vie – Cultural Appropriation vs Cultural Inspiration: What you borrow from another culture when it comes to wardrobe should be thoughtful<
- Confessions of a Fashion Editor – Dear New Look; it’s over!
- Eternal Masquerade – Covering the Parallels Between Our Current Winter Wonderland and Under the Sea Fashions
- Fashion Pulse Daily – Fashion Pulse Daily blogs live from the Future of Fashion Blogging panel during IFB’s Evolving influence conference this week!
- Hot Beauty Health – Ready for Spring? Here are 9 Big Beauty Trends for Spring 2010!
- Idiosyncratic Style – Fashion Dare – Let your party frocks come out and play!
- Intrinsically Florrie – Making a spectacle of oneself: learning to love glasses and finding the right pair
- Mariels Castle – It’s not about been skinny or fat its about being healthy!
- Retro Chick – Love, Lust & Burlesque with the Bridewell Collective
- SFindiefashion.com – Spring comes early to Golden Gate Park. Showcase of spring 2010 looks from San Francisco designers.
- Stacie Blair – Show your Olympic spirit with fashionable gear from Aritzia!
- Style Eyes – The dilemma of a fashion blogger and why I’m taking Dame Vivienne Westwoods advice to stop shopping
- Style Symmetry – Fashion Blogger Interview Kingdom of Style’s Queen Michelle
- Sugar and spice and all things nice – Discussing the dangers of tanning and why the only safe tan is one from a bottle!!
- The Clothing Menu – interview with independent jewelry and clothing designer, Norwegian Wood
- The Fashion Planner – The Fashion Planner is hosting an eUndies.com Giveaway!
- The Very Subjective – very subjective (and therefore – very true) observations about style do’s and do not’s.
- Thread Style – Heel-wearing fashionistas also can be feminists.
- twentyteneightyfour – My thoughts on style vs fashion and how our appetite for fashion blogs is part of our quest for style
- ventures of jenn – The Great Vintage Debate: the ‘price’ of vintage both within and outside of the western world and what it really means.